ADG Racing Division is actively working with veterinary experts, race track permittees, industry stakeholders and the racing community to protect both human and equine athletes by reducing the number of catastrophic breakdowns that occur on Arizona race tracks. In 2017, ADG began a comprehensive program that examined the root causes of breakdowns that occurred in previous race meets. These preventative measures include:
- 100% pre-race exams on all horses entered to race
- Necropsies on all catastrophic breakdowns
- Reviews of the medical findings of those necropsies with trainers, racetrack officials, track and state veterinarians, and members of the local horsemen’s group.
- Regular meetings of concerned stakeholders to discuss present trends and recommend additional safety measures to be considered.
- Banishment of Shock Wave Therapy on the backstretch of all Arizona race tracks.
The goal of ADG Racing Division’s Safety Initiatives Program is to make Arizona racing as safe as possible for both equine and human athletes. To learn more about our continued efforts, listen to the latest Commission meeting recording or download the latest Equine Safety Report.